Sunday 1 August 2010

Evaluation Number One

I think after a couple of months of research it is time for a recap of things and and evaluation so far.

So... I originally had three main ideas that I wanted to look into, the first being a bus journey, the second an adventure, and third some kind of music video.

I did start to do some research into the bus journey idea, taking photographs of the buses and some quick sketches. However, I have decided not to continue with this idea for the following reasons:
  1. There were too many possibilites of what to do and I couldn't narrow down the idea to a succinct plot for a short film.
  2. I do not think the characters were interesting enough to captivate an audience.
  3. I wouldn't want to limit the creativity of the team setting it in a small area where there cannot be much movement.
  4. I was starting to get bored of the research already let alone doing the project for a whole year.

Secondly, the music video is also a no go area because I think it would be difficult to arrange an original song to animate, and also agree on a type of music everyone would want to work on in the group. It would be the perfect amount of time however and I may do some more research into videos to see if I can use them in my project. The main thing that makes me not want to do this is the limit of camera angles with the singer having to look into the camera, and you would not be able to create more tension etc.

This leaves me with the adventure idea. I think this is the best out of the three because I have a strong plot point that is based on recent news but will be creatively displayed. The Guatamala location gives a strong reference point, as does the Mayan culture. Combined they will make hopefully jaw dropping visuals combining both natural and historical man made environments.

I also think stong modern architypal characters can be used that the audience will relate with and will want to succeed. I want them to be akin to those already in films and games, but give them a fresh twist. This may end up being by the style of render or colours that are used for them, or to try and make them look more cartoony rather than realistic (which is what adventure games for example seem to do).

Aims for the next couple of weeks:

  • research the Guatamala area and landscape
  • historical reference (hopefully from visits to Museums)
  • develop the Michael and Prada characters and design the King figure
  • storyboard different scenarios that may make it into the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment